The High School Cancer Symposium (HSCS) is Australia’s premiere science event for high school students to learn about cancer and medical research. The event is open to all year 10 students enrolled at Victorian high schools; any interested students or teachers are warmly invited to attend. The Symposium has 3 aims:
- Showcase the “bench to bedside” process of cancer research, therapy, and the broader impacts of the disease;
- Provide a rare opportunity for students to experience life as a cancer researcher; and
- Connect high school students with the research community.
In 2018, the HSCS will be held independently of the HSCC. The details of the 2018 HSCS are provided below:
- Date: Thursday, 20 September 2018, 9.00 AM to 3.00 PM
- Venue: Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research
In 2016 and 2017, the HSCS was held on the same day as the High School Cancer Competition (HSCC). Past activities have included:
- Guest presentations from world-renowned cancer researchers (including such figures as Professor Suzanne Cory, Professor David Vaux, and Professor Andrew Roberts)
- Laboratory tours of the facilities at the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute
- Networking sessions with PhD students, postdoctoral fellows, and laboratory heads
- Workshops with breast cancer survivors from Breast Cancer Network Australia
Date and Location
In 2018, the HSCS will be held on Thursday, 20 September at the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research.
In 2018, registration for the High School Cancer Symposium will also include registration for the High School Cancer Competition.
- The Symposium will be held on Thursday, 20 September 2018 at the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research.
- The Competition will be held on Friday, 21 September 2018 at each participating school.
If you are a year 10 student, please contact your science teachers to register for this year’s Symposium. Spots are strictly limited, so register as soon as you can! Further information for students is available below.
If you are a teacher, information regarding registration, logistics, relevant forms to be completed, and other aspects of the High School Cancer Symposium are available below. Please register for one of the following options:
HSCS and HSCC Combined Registration
If your school would like to register for the HSCS and HSCC together, please register using the HSCC and HSCC Combined Registration Form.
HSCS and HSCC combined registration closes Wednesday, 29 August 2018 or when the Symposium reaches capacity. If this occurs, we still encourage all interested students and teachers to register for the HSCC using the HSCC only registration option below.
The ACHSC also kindly reminds teachers to ensure that all relevant forms are submitted during registration; only complete applications will be accepted due to logistical reasons.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if your school has more than 5 interested students; we may be able to accommodate larger groups.
HSCC Only Registration
If your school wishes to participate in the High School Cancer Competition only, please register using the HSCC Only Registration Form.
More information on the HSCC is available on the High School Cancer Competition page.
HSCC only registration closes Wednesday, 29 August 2018.
Further information & forms
- 2018 Student Information Pack (HSCS & HSCC)
- 2018 Teacher Information Pack (HSCS & HSCC)
- 2018 HSCS Media Release Form (must be completed by all attending students and teachers).
- 2018 HSCS & HSCC Terms and Conditions
For further information, or any other enquiries, please contact the ACHSC at email@example.com.